Our History

  • 1949


    The Lutheran Friends of the Deaf purchased Sefton Manor and all 86 of its acres from Lillian Sefton Dodge for a mere $216,000, with the intent of opening a school for the Deaf inside the home.

  • 1951


    September 23, Approximately 3,500 people attended the Sunday dedication of the Manor House, with the name officially changed to Mill Neck Manor.

  • 1951


    September 26, The Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf officially opened serving 19 Deaf boys and girls. Within three years, there would be 40 students enrolled.

  • 1956


    The Board of Trustees received the “Absolute Charter” by the New York State Board of Regents for operation as a school for the Deaf.

  • 1957


    The farm buildings, originally built in 1929, were converted into new classrooms for the expanding school. Other out buildings on the ground would also become spaces for offices during this period.

  • 1958


    September 14, The John of Beverley Chapel was officially dedicated within Mill Neck Manor as a place for the school’s students to have the opportunity for prayer.

  • 1962


    The newly constructed library opened on the third floor of Mill Neck Manor, offering a wealth of resources and information to students. The first library card was presented to then New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller.

  • 1968


    The Mill Neck Manor School’s new physical education building was dedicated.

  • 1972


    The Samuel J. and Evelyn L. Wood Memorial Building was officially dedicated, offering the Mill Neck Manor School more room for classes as the student body continued to grow.

  • 1984


    Realizing that Deaf infants and their parents needed assistance as early as possible, the Mill Neck Manor Board of Directors approved the start of the Infant Toddler Program at Mill Neck.

  • 1986


    Mill Neck Services officially began operating as an entity within the Mill Neck Family of Organizations, providing vocational services to Deaf and Hard of Hearing adults.

  • 1986


    Mill Neck Audiology Clinic, the beginning of what is now known as the Center for Hearing Health, was established to provide services to Hard of Hearing children and adults across Long Island.

  • 2000


    Mill Neck Services officially opened their Day Habilitation Program, providing support to Deaf, Hard of Hearing and non-verbal adults with a range of disabilities.

  • 2001


    The Deaf Education Center is completely on Mill Neck’s grounds and would officially open for classes the following year, offering new, state-of-the-art facilities for the Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf.

  • 2003


    The First Auditory/Oral Preschool Class opens at the Deaf Education Center.

  • 2011


    Empty for a number of years, and serving a number of purposes, Mill Neck Manor opened to the public monthly for tours.

  • 2016


    Mill Neck Manor entered into an ongoing process of restoration and preservation for the dual purpose of improving the monthly tours for the public, as well as for the benefit of the various organizations within the Mill Neck Family of Organizations.

X