Deaf Ministry is the mission of Lutheran Friends of the Deaf, Inc. It all began in 1944, at the LCMS Saginaw Convention when a resolution commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Synod’s Ministry to the Deaf was passed to raise funds to establish an east coast school for deaf. Money was raised for the cause for four years, and a group of pastors and laymen from the New York area began to meet about setting up the school. In 1947, the group incorporated as the charitable, non-profit corporation, Lutheran Friends of the Deaf. In 1949, Lutheran Friends of the Deaf purchased the 86-acre “Sefton Manor.” In 1951, Mill Neck Manor Lutheran School opened to 19 deaf boys and girls. By 1956, Mill Neck Manor was fully accredited by New York State. Since its inception over 70 years ago, Lutheran Friends of the Deaf has grown into the Mill Neck Family of Organizations. Today, a Recognized Service Organization within the LCMS, Lutheran Friends of the Deaf develops and disseminates resources for deaf ministry, congregations and training for religious interpreters.
Download a Lutheran Friends of the Deaf PDF information sheet.
For current news and updates from the Lutheran Friends of the Deaf team, visit/subscribe to the LFD Deaf Ministry Blog: