Mission and History
The Mill Neck Manor wishes to use the beauty of this historic home to benefit the Mill Neck Family of Organizations’ mission to serve Deaf and Hard of Hearing children and adults, as well as the community at large, through special events, tours, photography shoots, meetings and more.
The Mill Neck Manor, a majestic Tudor Revival mansion, is set on an 86-acre estate overlooking the Long Island Sound. The 34-room mansion, once called Sefton Manor, was owned by Robert Leftwich Dodge and his wife, Lillian Sefton Dodge, who was the president of the Harriet Hubbard Ayer. The architectural firm of Clinton & Russell, Wells, Holton & George was retained in 1923 to design the home for the Dodge family, which cost $2 million to construct and more.
The Mill Neck Manor is a two-story residence with over 34 family rooms, 16 bathrooms, including numerous guest and service rooms. Rusticated Westchester granite blocks trimmed in limestone cover the exterior. The solid oak doorway reported to be between 400 and 500 years old is studded with iron details and unusual hardware made by Samuel Yellin.
In 1949, the estate was purchased by Lutheran Friends of the Deaf, the founding organization for Mill Neck Family of Organizations, for $216,000. The Mill Neck Manor became a residential school for the Deaf at first, and later housed a day elementary school program. Empty since the completion of a new Deaf Education Center in 2001, the Mill Neck Manor has undergone a recent effort to fully restore and preserve the home for future use.
Mill Neck Manor
40 Frost Mill Road
Mill Neck, NY 11765