Legislative Alert: Special Ed. Preschools are in Jeopardy!
Immediate Action Needed! Call Your Assembly Members Only!
Special Education Preschools provide essential services to our most vulnerable children.
- These schools have not had an increase in six years!
- Costs are not being reimbursed and schools are closing!
- We are asking for an increase for classroom based services only.
Our most vulnerable children and their families are counting on our Legislators to help!
The State Education Department has requested a 3.1% increase for our 4410 Preschool classroom based services. We are not certain that the Division of Budget will approve it. Senator Flanagan, the new Majority Leader, and Chair of the Education Committee, sent a sign-on letter to the Governor with almost all the Senate Republicans signatures in support of the Preschool increase. Assemblymember Cathy Nolan and Assemblymember Shelley Mayer are in the process of getting signatures on the Assembly letters. We are making progress but Assemblymembers still need to hear how important this is from staff and families of our preschools so that they will sign the Assembly letter.
This is what we are asking you to do:
- Contact your Assemblymembers only.
WE ARE ONLY WORKING TO GET SIGNATURES ON THEIR LETTERS.
- Tell your Assemblymember that a sign-on letter is being circulated by the Chair and we would be grateful if they would sign it.
IMPORTANT: Don’t call Senators. Not only did we get the Republican sign-on letter, letters have also been sent to the Governor by both Minority Leader Stewart-Cousins and IDC Senator David Carlucci so the Senate is covered.