1949

1949

February 22, 2019 |

The Lutheran Friends of the Deaf purchased Sefton Manor and all 86 of its acres from Lillian Sefton Dodge for a mere $216,000, with the intent of opening a school for the Deaf inside the home.

Read More

1951-A

1951

February 22, 2019 |

September 23, Approximately 3,500 people attended the Sunday dedication of the Manor House, with the name officially changed to Mill Neck Manor.

Read More

1951-B

1951

February 22, 2019 |

September 26, The Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf officially opened serving 19 Deaf boys and girls. Within three years, there would be 40 students enrolled.

Read More

1956

1956

February 22, 2019 |

The Board of Trustees received the “Absolute Charter” by the New York State Board of Regents for operation as a school for the Deaf.

Read More

1957

1957

February 22, 2019 |

The farm buildings, originally built in 1929, were converted into new classrooms for the expanding school. Other out buildings on the ground would also become spaces for offices during this period.

Read More

1958

1958

February 22, 2019 |

September 14, The John of Beverley Chapel was officially dedicated within Mill Neck Manor as a place for the school’s students to have the opportunity for prayer.

Read More

1962

1962

February 22, 2019 |

The newly constructed library opened on the third floor of Mill Neck Manor, offering a wealth of resources and information to students. The first library card was presented to then New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller.

Read More

1968

1968

February 22, 2019 |

The Mill Neck Manor School’s new physical education building was dedicated.

Read More

Evelyn L Wood Memorial Building

1972

February 22, 2019 |

The Samuel J. and Evelyn L. Wood Memorial Building was officially dedicated, offering the Mill Neck Manor School more room for classes as the student body continued to grow.

Read More

1984 Infant Toddler Program

1984

February 22, 2019 |

Realizing that Deaf infants and their parents needed assistance as early as possible, the Mill Neck Manor Board of Directors approved the start of the Infant Toddler Program at Mill Neck.

Read More

X