Mill Neck Interpreter Service
Mill Neck Interpreter Service (MNIS) is a non-profit agency that provides Sign Language interpreters throughout Long Island and the New York Metropolitan Area, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. With over 20 years of experience, MNIS provides a skilled, professional staff of hearing and Deaf interpreters for any situation requiring communication between Deaf and hearing people.
Mill Neck Interpreter Service provides interpreters for a wide variety of settings, including:
- Mental Health
- Non-profit organizations
- Vocational Training
Legal Obligations: To view legal obligations, please click here.
Professionalism and Confidentiality: All MNIS interpreters must adhere to the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct. To view this code, please click here.
All Interpreter requests will be reviewed by the coordinators and a confirmation email will be sent from the office within 24 hours. If you do not receive a confirmation email from one of the coordinators within 24 hours, please call MNIS at 516-512-6222.
Emergency Requests between 5PM and 9AM: call 1-800-235-2594
Loretta Murray, Esq. – Executive Director
Angela Piteris CI, CT, NIC – Interpreter Manager
Christopher Tester, CDI, SC:L – Interpreter Manager
Lindsay Byrne – Program Manager
Elizabeth Kohn – Senior Coordinator
Annmarie Stamatatos – Coordinator
Kim Worko – Accounts Payable & Receivable
Paul Wilson – Accounts Payable & Receivable
Why Use MNIS Sign Language Interpreters?
- All interpreters are required to be nationally Certified or screened through MNIS by experienced, Certified interpreters.
- MNIS will manage your interpreter requests, find the most appropriate match for the assignment, and handle all of the details that goes into hiring an interpreter. (Ex: replacing an interpreter if they are sick.)
- MNIS provides on-going support to community interpreters through direct supervision and mentoring.
- MNIS provides interpreters with professional development opportunities to maintain and enhance their skill.
- MNIS is a non-profit agency that is a segment of Mill Neck Services for Deaf Adults that provides over 20 different services for the Deaf community.
- MNIS is willing to negotiate contracts with the client while keeping the best interests of the Deaf consumer and Interpreter in mind.
Mill Neck Interpreter Service has implemented a benevolent fund with the goal of providing the community with interpreting services in situations that are not covered under the ADA. The fund will be available for Mill Neck to use in order to pay the interpreter their fee at no cost to the Deaf or hearing consumer. There are two options available: you can contribute a specific dollar amount that you feel comfortable with or make contributions that will be automatically withdrawn from your bi-weekly pay check. For more information, please contact Loretta Murray, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or Andrew Berko at email@example.com.
“Mill Neck is reliable, courteous and highly professional in all of their interactions with our department. We take serving the needs of our students very seriously, and can always count on Mill Neck interpreters and representatives to meet those needs without question.”
“Our facility has been utilizing Mill Neck Interpreter Service to assist our hearing impaired patients since 1998. We have found the interpreters from this agency to be punctual, professional and compassionate. The office staff at Mill Neck are very reliable and are great about scheduling even last minute sign language interpreters for emergency situations. We are very happy with Mill Neck and look forward to working with them for many years to come.”
– Jackie Mohr, Department Secretary of Social Work, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
Information for Long Island and NYC-Metropolitan Area Interpreters
- All interpreters must be Certified or have passed the NAD-RID NIC Knowledge Written Exam. Interpreters who have passed the written exam are required to screen with MNIS.
- MNIS coordinators are trained to provide interpreters with detailed information for each assignment.
- Each MNIS interpreter will have access to their own website which will provide a personal information profile, detailed daily calendar of accepted assignments, and the ability to electronically submit bi-weekly Timesheets.
- Interpreters will be paid on a bi-weekly basis through direct deposit.
- MNIS offers competitive rates within the Long Island- NYC region.
- MNIS currently has five Staff interpreters who have the option to obtain health benefits and receive a minimum of hours paid per week.
- Interpreter Relations Committee (IRC) is comprised of 6 to 10 freelance interpreters designated to foster a congenial, professional working relationship between the coordinators, interpreter supervisor and management of Mill Neck Services for Deaf Adults.
- RID – Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
- LIRD – Long Island Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
- Metro RID – New York City Metro RID
- NAD – National Association of the Deaf
- ASLTA – American Sign Language Teachers Association
- NAOBI – National Alliance of Black Interpreters
- CIT – Conference of Interpreter Trainers
- Mano a Mano
- Gallaudet Interpreting Program
- LaGuardia Community College – Interpreter Certificate Program
- Bloomsburg University – ASL/English Interpretation Program
- Northeastern University – ASL/English Interpreter Program
- Suffolk County Community College – AAS ASL/English Interpreting